A Minnesota manufacturer who said the federal government halted contract deliveries with them was forced to spend nearly $600,000 to try to keep the contract and kept thousands of doses of a potentially dangerous vaccine alive after an environmental health inspector warned the FDA that its use was hazardous.
Vaccine developer MedImmune was ending orders with pharmaceutical distributor Kino Products last week, MedImmune’s Shawn O’Brien told FoxNews.com in an interview. Kino had agreed to take up to 1 million doses of their FluMist nasal spray vaccine that is approved for healthy adults under the age of 49.
The company’s stock has plunged since a Feb. 16 Health Protection and Research Service, or HPRS, report found the respiratory spray could lead to non-fatal asthma attacks in patients who inhale the product. But the FDA ordered MedImmune to provide Kino more vaccine than it bargained for in order to keep 700,000 doses alive.
Click here to read the full story at FoxNews.com.